Fried Hilsa Goodness


I fried up some Hilsa, because I didn’t want to cook it the way Hilsa should be cooked… That is not fried… cooked in Mustard paste. I just wanted to cook something different. Just as you would cook a Rohu Kaalia.
The good thing about Hilsa, is that it cooks really fast, so don’t wait too long to turn the side. I fried maybe 4 minutes on each side on high heat? As you know, I don’t measure, neither time nor quantity. A good cook knows how to feel with all senses… Mostly sight and smell eh :-)
I Fried the fish in Mustard Oil. Any other oil is a Sacrilege when you are dealing with Fish. Just make sure that you heat the oil till all the bubbles have gone and start to release a fume.. Learn to know the smell. I usually wave my hand over the oil towards myself to check the smell. Undercooked Mustard oil has a bad smell. Burnt oil is no good either. Hmm, maybe I will do a Video. Once the oil is propah-ly heated, let the fish slid down a flat spatula, or use a pair of Steel tongs. Beware of all the oil that will spill out and jump out all over the place. I use a large Lid as a Shield. A Lid with a knob to hold. If not, use a large steel plate, and hold it with a Clamp.
DON’T cover the frying Pan totally. Just cover enough to catch the nasty flying oil. Leave space for the fumes to leave though.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
 
 

Followers

Total Pageviews

Labels

About Me

indian cooking recipes
View my complete profile